Chocolate chip cookies are a timeless treat loved for their soft, chewy texture and perfect balance of sweetness and rich chocolate flavor.
They bring comfort and happiness to many, from childhood memories to holiday traditions.
Baked from scratch or store-bought, chocolate chip cookies are always a great idea. They’re versatile, perfect for dunking, pairing with ice cream, or enjoying as a sweet snack.
Their beauty lies in their simplicity – with just a few key ingredients, anyone can make a batch of delicious cookies that will bring joy to themselves and others.
And with endless variations and twists on the classic recipe, it’s easy to put your own spin on this timeless treat. So, let’s dive into the recipe, tips, tricks, and variations to help you make perfect chocolate chip cookies every time.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Simple Ingredients & Substitutions: If you want to customize the recipe, here are some simple ingredient substitutions you can make:
- All-Purpose Flour: You can substitute with whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour if desired.
- Unsalted Butter: If you only have salted butter on hand, you can use it instead and omit the additional salt in the chocolate chip cookies recipe.
- Granulated Sugar: You can substitute with coconut sugar or brown sugar.
- Brown Sugar: You can substitute with coconut sugar or granulated sugar.
- Semisweet Chocolate Chips: You can use any type of chocolate chips or even chopped chocolate in this chocolate chip cookies recipe.
Variations: Here are three variations of the classic recipe to help you mix things up:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: Add 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter to the chocolate chip cookies recipe, reduce the butter to 1/2 cup, and increase the flour to 2 1/2 cups.
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies: Replace the semisweet chocolate chips with white chocolate chips and add 1/2 cup of chopped macadamia nuts to the chocolate chip cookies recipe.
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies: Add 1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats to the chocolate chip cookies recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, drop the chocolate chip cookies dough onto an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Allow the chocolate chip cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire
What to Serve With and Storage:
Chocolate chip cookies are perfect on their own, but can also be served with ice cream, whipped cream, or chocolate sauce.
They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use room temperature butter for the best results in the Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.
- Don’t overmix the dough or the cookies will be tough
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I make the Chocolate Chip Cookies dough ahead of time? A: Yes! You can make the Chocolate Chip Cookies dough up to 2 days in advance and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake the cookies.
Q: Can I use milk chocolate chips instead of semisweet in the Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe? A: Yes, you can substitute milk chocolate chips for semisweet chocolate chips if you prefer a sweeter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
However, keep in mind that milk chocolate chips have a lower percentage of cocoa solids than semisweet chocolate chips, which may affect the overall flavor and texture of the cookies.
[mv_create key=”6″ thumbnail=”https://liliannke.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Chocolate-chip-cookies-1-scaled.jpg” title=”Chocolate chip cookies- The Classic Recipe” type=”recipe”]