Fried meat pie (empanada) is a tasty, meat and veggie filled snack,
even though fried, it’s extremely rich and delicious.
Empanada is like a fried version of the Nigerian Meat pie .
It is originally a Latin American snack, popular all over the world for it’s rich filling and flaky crust.
Unlike our Nigerian meat pie which is baked , Empanadas are usually deep fried.
Even though that is the case, it isn’t soaked in oil, because the pies are transferred unto paper towels which absorbs any excess oil.
I have to admit that frying gives the meat pie a unique taste that you won’t get if it were oven baked; although that is an alternative , if you are not a fan of fried goods, or will rather opt for a healthier option.
I like that the filling for the pies are very forgiving; meaning that you can make use of your choice of meat , veggies and spices and still get a luscious mouth-watering and crowd pleasing snack.
Believe me these delicious hand pies are a great addition to any party, get-together or festive occasions.
Ingredients for Fried Meat pie (Empanada)
For the EMPANADA DOUGH- FRIED MEAT PIE DOUGH:
– 5 cups Flour ( All purpose flour)
– 1/4 teaspoon Salt
– 1 tablespoon Sugar
– 2 whole Eggs
– 120 ml Margarine(butter) OR 8 tbsp room temperature water
about 100 ml OR more until consistency is achieved)
For the Empanada filling- FRIED MEAT PIE FILLING
– 500 grams ground beef or pork
– 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
– 2 cloves Garlic
– 1 large or medium sized Onions
– 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
– 1 teaspoon Black pepper or chili
– I teaspoon Beef seasoning(OR bouillon) or Maggi or Knorr
– 1 tablespoon Soy sauce (OPTIONAL)
– 1 cup Potatoes
– 1 cup Carrot
– 1/2 cup Red bell pepper
– 1/2 cup Canned sweet corn
– 1/2 cup Green peas
– Salt to taste
– 1 tablespoon Corn flour or all purpose flour
– 1 cup (250ml or more) Water
How to make Empanada (fried meat pie)
– Heat up the 3 tablespoons of vegetables oil . Add 2 cloves chopped garlic &
one chopped medium sized onions and saute till fragrant
– Add 500 grams ground beef, pork or chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes
– Add 1 teaspoon each of thyme, black pepper & beef seasoning and a tablespoon of soy sauce
– Stir fry until the meat goes from pink to pale – the meat will absorb all the spices and taste richer
– Add the diced potatoes and carrot and just enough water to cook the vegetables
– Cover and let it cook until the potatoes are tender, that’s about 10 minutes more or less
– Add 1/2 cup each of diced red bell peppers, sweet corn, green peas and salt to taste and cook for 5 minutes.
– Mix 1 tablespoon corn flour(starch)or all purpose flour with 2 tablespoons water, this slurry will serve as a binder and thickener for the filling
– Pour the mixture into the filling ,stirring constantly for a few seconds or until thickened
– Then take out of the heat and set the empanada (fried meat pie) filling to cool completely.
To make the empanada dough (fried meatpie dough)
– Mix 5 cups flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt together until combined
– Add 2 whole eggs and 120ml melted butter or margarine(8tbsp room temp) and mix well
– Add water gradually and continue mixing until the dough comes together
and not sticky
– Wrap in a cling film and rest in fridge for 20 minutes it allows the gluten in the flour to relax & absorb the liquid
– Take out the dough knead a little and cut into two portions (that’s after 20 minutes)
– Roll out the dough on a floured surface and using a circular mold, cut out as much circles as the dough allows
– Fill in the circles with the cooled filling and seal tight with your fingers and a fork
– Finally heat up some oil on medium heat until pretty hot and fry the empanadas (meat pies) until golden brown and crisp
–Serve and enjoy with a chilled drink or hot beverage